Department Of Agriculture Forestry And Fisheries
The Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries is one of the departments of the South African government. It is responsible for overseeing and supporting South Africa’s agricultural sector, as well as ensuring access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food by the country’s population.
The department falls under the responsibility of the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; as of January 2010 this is Senzeni Zokwana.
In the 2014 national budget, the department received an appropriation of R6,178 billion rand, and had 5,924 employees as of 2010.
Vision OF Department Of Agriculture Forestry And Fisheries
United and transformed agriculture, forestry and fisheries sector that ensures food security for all and economic prosperity.
Mission OF Department Of Agriculture Forestry And Fisheries
Advancing food security and transformation of the sector through innovative, inclusive and sustainable policies, legislation and programmes.
Values of Department Of Agriculture Forestry And Fisheries
- Drive: driven to deliver excellent service through leadership and professionalism
- Attitude: being an ambitious, passionate, reliable and dedicated workforce
- Fairness: acting with objectivity, empathy, integrity and transparency
- Focus: focusing on people, economic and rural development
STRATEGIC GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- SG1: Effective and efficient strategic leadership, governance and administration
- SO 1.1 Ensure compliance with statutory requirements and good governance practices
- SO 1.2 Strengthen support, guidance and interrelation with stakeholders
- SO 1.3 Strengthen institutional mechanisms for integrated policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation in the sector
- SG2: Enhance production, employment and economic growth in the sector
- SO 2.1 Ensure increased production and productivity in prioritised areas as well as value chains
- SO 2.2 Effective management of bio-security and related sector risks
- SO 2.3 Ensure support for market access and processing of agricultural, forestry and fisheries products
- SG3: Enabling environment for food security and sector transformation
- SO 3.1 Lead and coordinate government food security initiatives
- SO 3.2 Enhance capacity for efficient delivery in the sector
- SO 3.3 Strengthen planning, implementation and monitoring of comprehensive support programmes
- SG4: Sustainable use of natural resources in the sector
- SO 4.1 Ensure the conservation, protection, rehabilitation and recovery of depleted and degraded natural resources
- SO 4.2 Ensure adaptation and mitigation to climate change through effective implementation of prescribed frameworks
Alignment of government key outcomes to departmental strategic goals
|12: An efficient, effective and development oriented public service and an empowered, fair and inclusive citizenship||Strategic goal 1: Effective and efficient strategic leadership, governance and administration||1|
|4: Decent employment through inclusive economic growth||Strategic goal 2: Enhance production, employment and economic growth in the sector||2, 4, and 6|
|7: Vibrant, equitable, sustainable rural communities contributing towards food security for all||Strategic goal 3: Enabling environment for food security and sector transformation||3 and 6|
|10: Protect and enhance our environmental assets and natural resources||Strategic goal 4: Sustainable use of natural resources in the sector||2,5 and 6|