Department Of Home Affairs S.A
Department Of Home Affairs S.A, the Department of Home Affairs is a department of the South African government.
The department is responsible for:
- Maintenance of the National Population Register (the civil registry), including the recording of births, marriages/civil partnerships and deaths.
- Issuing identity documents and passports.
- Issuing visas for visitors to South Africa (although visa applications pass through embassies or consulates which are part of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation).
- Managing immigration to South Africa and naturalization of permanent immigrants.
- Handling refugees and asylum seekers in South Africa.
- Controlling ports of entry at land borders, seaports and airports.
What we do
The Department of Home Affairs offers a multitude of services to the citizens of South Africa, as well as foreigners who wish to visit, work or stay in South Africa. The Department’s core functions are:
The mandate of the Department is two-fold:
Firstly, the DHA is custodian, protector and verifier of the identity and status of citizens and other persons resident in South Africa. This makes it possible for people to realize their rights and access benefits and opportunities in both the public and private domains. By expanding these services to marginalized communities, the department plays is a key enabler in deepening democracy and social justice.
Secondly, the DHA controls, regulates and facilitates immigration and the movement of persons through ports of entry. It also provides civics and immigration services at foreign missions; and determines the status of asylum seekers and refugees in accordance with international obligations. The department thus makes a significant contribution to ensuring national security, enabling economic development and promoting good international relations.
- Secured South African citizenship and identity
- Immigration managed effectively and securely in the national interest including economic, social and cultural development
- A services that is efficient, accessible and corruption free.
A safe, secure South Africa where all of its people are proud of, and value, their identity and citizenship
The efficient determination and safeguarding of the identity and status of citizens and the regulation of migration to ensure security, promote development and fulfil our international obligation
The DHA is committed:
- People-centred and caring
- Professional and having integrity
- Corruption free and ethical
- Efficient and innovative
DHA Head Quarters