Department Of Home Affairs Services
Department Of Home Affairs Services, The Department of Home Affairs is a department of the South African government.
The department is responsible for:
- Maintenance of the National Population Register (the civil registry), including the recording of births, marriages/civil partnerships and deaths.
- Issuing identity documents and passports.
- Issuing visas for visitors to South Africa (although visa applications pass through embassies or consulates which are part of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation).
- Managing immigration to South Africa and naturalization of permanent immigrants.
- Handling refugees and asylum seekers in South Africa.
- Controlling ports of entry at land borders, seaports and airports.
The Department’s core Civic duties are
- Maintaining the National Population Register (NPR)
- Managing the birth, marriage and death records
- Determining and granting citizenship
- Issuing travel documents and passports
- Issuing identity documents (ID)
These are achieved by issuing South African nationals and residents with documents pertaining to:
- Births, Marriages and Deaths
- Identity Documents and Identification
- Travel Documents and Passports