The Funza Lushaka Bursary
ABOUT THE BURSAR
The Department of Basic Education deals with schools throughout South Africa, from Grade R to 12 and adult literacy programmes. The DBE was formerly part of the National Department of Education before it split into two: the DBE (Department of Basic Education) and DHE (Department of Higher Education)
The departments goal is to create a sustainable South African education system for the 21st century – one where all learners have access to learning, training and education. Their vision is that the education system will improve the quality of life for all South Africans and create a peaceful, prosperous and democratic country.
ABOUT THE BURSAR
The Department of Education in South Africa, has a bursary programme for student teachers that require study funding – The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme. The aim of this bursary award is to help financially disadvantages students who intend on studying in the Education sector, who will ultimately give back to the community by teaching at public schools.
Bursaries will be awarded within the following fields of study:
- B Ed – Bachelor of Education, specializing in:
- Foundation Phase
- Intermediate Phase
- Senior Phase
- FET Phase
- Bachelor’s degrees (Engineering, Science, Computer Science, Technology, Arts)
- PGCE – Postgraduate Certificate in Education
The bursary covers the following expenses: tuition fees, food and accommodation, textbooks and study materials and allowance for general living expenses.
Please note: on completion of the teaching qualification, bursary applicants will be required to teach at a public school for the equal duration of their bursary.
- South African citizen
- Students must be accepted into a suitable qualification, at one of the recognised tertiary institutions
- Must be able to show satisfactory academic capability
- Willing to teach at a school appointed to them by the Provincial Education Department
- A keen interest in working with children
- Preference will be given to applicants in rural areas and applicants who intend on teaching in rural areas
HOW TO APPPLY
Applications must be done online at: http://www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za/application/application.jsp
(Please click “I accept” to proceed, once you have read the T&C’s)
New applications close on 8 January annually.
Re-applications close on 13 November annually.
Applications open on 1 October annually.