SARB Graduate Internship Programme 2021
SARB Graduate Internship Programme 2021, The SARB GDP seeks to contribute to selected graduates overall economic activity and output by equipping them with knowledge of, skills in, and exposure to the role of the central bank in the economy and of the financial sector in general.
The SARB GDP is specially designed to provide access to broad knowledge and expertise. Graduates will have the opportunity to work for a reputable institution that has a critical role to play in the South African economy.
What the SARB does
The SARB serves the economic well-being of South Africans through maintaining price and financial stability. It is responsible for the regulation of the South African financial sector, design and distribution of banknotes and coin, management of interest rates, setting the cash reserve requirement for banks, and ensuring stability of both the banking sector and the wider financial system.
What the SARB GDP is about Exposure to departments in the SARB
Graduates will work and learn at the SARB Head Office in Pretoria from January to December 2021. During the year, they will be assigned to a department and exposed to various roles and projects.
SARB GDP courses
During the SARB GDP graduates will also attend courses at the SARB Academy for approximately 30 days. Courses include monetary policy, macroprudential policy and financial stability, bank supervision and regulation, financial markets and reserves management, currency issuance and management as well as personal and professional skills such as making presentations, impactful reporting, data analysis, teamwork, personal mastery and diplomacy.
Graduates can also choose two of the following electives:
- Basic financial risk management
- Economic concepts and indicators
- Public finance
- Financial markets and instruments
- Anti-money laundering
- The national payment system
After the first year
At the end of the year, some graduates will be permanently appointed into a department of the SARB. Those most likely to be appointed are graduates who:
- are interested in continuing their career at the SARB;
- have a desire to make a contribution to monetary policy, financial stability, currency management, supervising financial institutions, financial markets or one of the SARB’s enabling functions;
- have demonstrated behaviours aligned to the SARB’s values of accountability, excellence, integrity, respect and trust, and open communication;
- are able to function independently and contribute actively and effectively in a team; and
- have performed exceptionally well in their assigned departments and academically.
Who should apply?
You meet the requirements if you:
- have completed or are about to complete a postgraduate degree;
- have attained or expect to attain an average of over 65% in your final year;
- have a strong desire to work in financial services and/or policy making;
- have a proven track record of academic excellence;
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- are a South African citizen; and
- are a curious and keen learner.
Closing Date: 12 April 2021
Start Date: January 2021
Degree focus areas
We will consider postgraduates or students studying toward a postgraduate degree with capability in at least one of the following areas:
- Policy analysis
- Public finance
- Financial management
- Information technology
- Portfolio or investment management
- Quantitative analysis
- Risk management
- Economics and international relations
How To Apply for SARB Graduate Internship Programme
Please submit the following 3 documents to SARB-GraduateRecruit@resbank.co.za
- certified copies of your latest academic records and qualifications;
- your curriculum vitae – no longer than two pages; and
- a half-page motivation explaining why you wish to participate in this programme and what you are able to contribute to the SARB.
Attachments should not exceed 2Mb. The closing date for applications is 12 April 2021. Late applications will not be considered. After you apply Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in assessments, interviews, and a security clearance as part of the selection process. Suitable candidates will be selected based on the SARB’s commitment to diversifying its workforce.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us, please consider your application unsuccessful. If you have questions, please email them to the following email address: SARB-GraduateRecruit@resbank.co.za