Tshwane University of Technology Bursaries and Scholarship Fund
TUT BURSARY AND SCHOLARSHIP FUND REACHES OUT TO FINANCIALLY NEEDY STUDENTS
The current demand for student financial aid in order to study at tertiary level is an ever increasing challenge not only for TUT but for all universities country wide. The situation at TUT is especially acute as the majority of the yearly enrolment is from previously disadvantaged and rural areas.
In order to address this challenge, TUT has opted to establish a Bursary and Scholarship Fund as a long term solution to the problem of inadequate funding from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS).
The TUT Bursary and Scholarship Fund was subsequently launched in November 2014 with the primary objectives to:
- Assist financially needy students, thus improving throughput and minimising the current unacceptable high dropout rate;
- Attract top performing students and provide them with a secure study path;
- Retain and recognise top performing students;
- Increase the number of students pursuing B Tech, Masters and Doctoral degrees; and
- Establish a sustainable funding vehicle for TUT.
NSFAS IN PERSPECTIVE
TUT is the biggest recipient of NSFAS funding. In 2015, the University received R550 million for allocation. Annually, TUT enrols between 18 000 and 20 000 students qualifying for NSFAS support. The majority of these students are returning students (approximately 15 000) and the rest are first-years (roughly 5 000).
It is believed that the Bursary and Scholarship Fund can, over time, assist in alleviating the acute student finance deficit.
WHO CAN CONTRIBUTE
- All members of the University community
HOW DOES ONE BECOME A DONOR
- Salary deduction (administered by TUT) and preferred by the APO, EFT and Debit Order
- We invite the TUT community to partner with the Advancement Partnership Office and help grow the fund
- Complete a form with personal information and sign a contract for a specified term
- Donors who contribute more than R600 for the year, receive a tax certificate for the donation